forum.HappieCamper.com Forum Index forum.HappieCamper.com
Our trek across the country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is Enough Enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.HappieCamper.com Forum Index -> Friend's chit chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: When is Enough Enough? Reply with quote

Cross posted from http://forum.oes.org/viewtopic.php?t=27
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, February 7th, 2003 Enough was Enough.

We contacted one of our fellow NEOESR members who lives in Las Vegas, and asked him for a referral to a vet. He directed us to his vet, "Dr. Mark", at the Lakeview Animal Hospital.

Among other feelings of guilt about making this decision, I felt bad about bringing a strange animal to a new Vet just for this procedure.

On this day, we went for "ride in the truck" one of Jakes favorite things. We spent the last hour with Jake in a park (actually a parking lot to an office building, but it had trees and GRASS and bushes, almost like back home in Massachusetts in the Springtime!). We shared some Wendy's burgers on a blanket, and then went for another "ride in the truck" around until it was time to go into the hospital.

Dr. Mark spent about an hour with us, first examining Jake, then helping us to reach our decision. Jake was catheterized and returned to the exam room. I said my goodbyes and stepped out of the room just prior to the injection, while Joan stayed with Jake. This was the right decision for all three of us.

Joan tells me that the procedure was very peaceful, and she didn't know that Jake had passed on until Dr. Mark told her that he was gone. I stepped back into the room just after Jake had passed on, and said my goodbyes, too. Dr. Mark was so good to us. Thank you again, Dr. Mark. You made this experience easier for a couple who is so far away from home.

After we arrived back to our motorhome without Jake we saw one of our neighbors walking her black Cocker Spaniel "Sadie". (We are, of course, parked in the "Dog Owners Section" of the campground). Joan and I said hello to Sadie, and the lady asks "How is your dog doing?" I tried to answer but I choked up, and Joan burst into tears. When I was able to speak, I told her where we had just come from. She expressed sympathy and mentioned that she had seen Jake struggling this morning. She repeatedly apologized as Joan and I regained our composure and doted on her little Sadie.

Joan and I figure that we loused up her evening, too. We didn't mean to! Talk about bad timing! And we thanked her profusely for letting us rub her dog.

We also want to thank everyone who has expressed their opinions and offered their support over the last year. We wouldn't have wanted to go through this without your help.
Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RON AND JOAN;
I just read of your farewell to Jake.

I haven't been keeping up with your travels so I was quite surprised to read that Jake is gone. I am glad I got to know him. His last few months were a great adventure.

I will give Spot an extra hug in Jake's honor this evening.

Good Luck;
Mitch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.HappieCamper.com Forum Index -> Friend's chit chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: